Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to file a 83(b) if I am not a US tax payer?

An 83(b) election is applicable if a grantee pays taxes in the United States. If you are not currently a US taxpayer but think there is a possibility you might become one or want to account for future IRS rule changes, we recommend submitting one anyway, as there would be no harm in doing so. On the 83(b) elect form, they should put 'pending SSN' or 'foreign' in the line for 'Tax id/SSN'.

See also: Why startup founders should file 83(b) elections

Last updated on August 17, 2021