The Gust Platform
The Gust Platform offers a set of tools for investors and for entrepreneurs on which they may do many things, including exchange information. Gust also allows access to the Gust Platform to Organizations for use by their members.
EU – U.S. Privacy Shield
Gust participates in and has certified its compliance with the EU – U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. Gust is committed to subjecting all personal data received from European Union (EU) member countries, in reliance on the Privacy Shield Framework, to the Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Framework, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield List. https://www.privacyshield.gov/list
Gust is responsible for the processing of personal data it receives, under the Privacy Shield Framework, and subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Gust complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of personal data from the EU, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal data received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Framework, Gust is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Gust may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Gust commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request
Gust has further committed to cooperate with EU data protection authorities (DPAs) with regard to unresolved Privacy Shield complaints concerning human resources data transferred from the EU in the context of the employment relationship. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, please contact the EU DPAs for more information or to file a complaint. The services of EU DPAs are provided at no cost to you.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
• On the Gust Platform;
• In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and Gust, on the Gust Platform or otherwise; and
It does not apply to information collected by:
• Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Gust or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
• Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Gust Platform.
What is “personal data”?
"Personal data" is any data that (1) is recorded in any form, (2) is about or pertains to a specific individual and (3) can be linked to that individual. For example, and without limitation, your first and last names, address, email address, telephone number, and other contact information, and the deals in which you have participated are "personal data."
What kind of personal data is collected?
We collect personal data at different stages of your use of the Gust Platform.
When you visit gust.com - If you visit gust.com or use an interface which interacts with gust.com, whether or not you sign-in as a registered user, we collect your IP address, the location of your Internet Service Provider, the type and version of Internet browser that you are using, and the website from which you came. We also collect information regarding your site usage, such as the time spent on a page and the number of pages you viewed.
When you interact with the Gust Platform -We also collect personal data that you provide when you interact with the Gust Platform such as, for example, by sending a message or uploading documents, preparing an accelerator application, or when exchanging correspondence with us such as through support emails.
When you use your account -We collect information that you provide or create when you use your account:
• If you are classified as an Investor, you may record in your profile within your Organization’s information about yourself, such as your contact information, picture, biography, experience, or other groups to which you belong. While the Organization’s name will be name public, no investor information will be publicly disclosed.
• If you are an entrepreneur, and you represent a company that is seeking investors, you may record information about yourself, your company, and your company’s management team. You may also include a video recording or picture. All information you put onto the Gust Platform is confidential unless you decide to share any of it, with the exception of Basic Application Information, which will only be confidential if you opt out of disclosing such information to accelerators.
How is personal data collected?
We collect personal data directly from you when you provide it through your use of the Gust Platform, such as in emails or when you fill out forms that are displayed on the Gust Platform.
For what purpose will my personal data be used?
Gust uses your personal data to maintain your account and to provide you with the group and deal-flow management and other services offered on the Gust Platform. We also use your personal data to respond to requests that you make of us, and to contact you and to provide you with information that we believe may be of interest to you.
We may also use your name and contact information to make queries to social networking and other sites, such as LinkedIn, for a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, verifying your identity, and showing you how you are linked or connected to other individuals who are also Gust users.
Your personal data may also be shared with companies in the Gust family of companies or to third parties as described below.
Can third parties see my personal data?
• If you are an investor - The Gust Platform allows the Organization Administrator of an Organization the ability to set certain settings in the profile of the members of the Organization . Thus, for each Organization, the Administrator decides which information is available for access or review by entrepreneurs and/or other Organizations, and which information is not to be disclosed, or is disclosed to selected entrepreneurs and/or other Organizations, according to the policies of the Organization. Please note that (1) the default settings that are set by an Organization Administrator may change from time to time; (2) each Organization may opt for different default settings. While the Gust Platform includes initial defaults, Gust has no control over the choice of a setting or the change in a default setting by an Organization’s Administrator.
• If you are an entrepreneur- If you are an entrepreneur and you have posted or uploaded information about you and/or your team, this information is disclosed to the Organizations to whom you have chosen to disclose the information. Additionally, if you begin an accelerator application, your Basic Application Information will be disclosed to such accelerator, regardless of your designation, unless you opt out. The disclosure of Basic Application Information will occur regardless of whether you complete the accelerator application.
With whom may Gust share personal data?
Under certain business or legal conditions, Gust may have to disclose your personal data to others as follows:
• Within the Gust Family– Gust may now or in the future have a parent, subsidiary or related company or companies within the Gust family of companies. Gust has the right to share all personal data with all such affiliated companies.
• Service Providers - Gust may engage other companies and individuals to perform necessary business functions on behalf of Gust (e.g. customer service or email provider). If it is necessary to perform these functions, these companies or individuals may have access to personal data of our users. These service providers have agreed not to use the personal data for any other purpose other than providing the required services.
• Legally Required Disclosure -Under certain circumstances, disclosure of your personal data may be required by law. Gust may disclose your personal data (1) if, in its own best judgment, it is required by law to do so in order to comply with a facially valid judicial or governmental subpoena, warrant, bankruptcy proceedings, or other order, or (2) to a government institution that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information, or (3) when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud.
Sharing with 3 rd Parties
3 rd Parties are companies unaffiliated with the Gust Platform. We may share your personal data with 3rd parties if given permission by you so that they can market their products or services to you. If you do not want us to share your personal data with 3rd parties after giving us permission to do so, contact us at email@example.com.
Can I access or change my personal data?
Upon request Gust will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. If your personal data changes, you may correct, update, or amend by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting us by postal mail at the contact information listed below. If you wish to delete/remove/deactivate your profile, remove your testimonial from our site, or opt out of sharing Basic Application Information, please email us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within 30 days.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
For auditing and security purposes, Gust keeps a log of all users' activities, which is retained in its archives as necessary for Gust to fulfill its obligations. Users may have access to the personal data that pertain to them. However, because the administrative and technical burden associated with the retrieval of these archived data is substantial, Gust charges a fee for this effort in a manner that is consistent with its actual cost. In addition, each user's right of access may be limited to the extent that providing access might infringe on a third party's privacy rights. Requests for access to this archived information are handled on a case-by-case basis, after Gust has verified the identity of the requestor. Inquiries should be made as provided in the section.
Can I have my personal data deleted?
You can delete any personal data that is recorded in the profile that you create for yourself as an investor or for your company, or as an entrepreneur.
Social Media Widgets
You can log in to our site using sign-in services such as LinkedIn or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal data with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like LinkedIn give you the option to post information about your activities on this Web site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
We display video testimonials of satisfied customers on our site in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your video testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you choose to invite a user to our platform, we will ask you for a name and email address. We will automatically send your invite a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. Gust stores this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of invites claimed. Your invitee may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
What is Aggregated Data, and how is it used?
Data aggregation is a process in which information is gathered and expressed in a summary form for purposes such as statistical analysis, in order to obtain information about a particular group based on specific variables. Data used for aggregation purposes are collected in a form that removes all identifiers, and may be combined with other data for which all identifiers have also been removed. Gust uses aggregated data to generate accurate metrics about the early stage private equity industry.
Aggregated data are packaged and licensed to third parties such as governments, economic development agencies and financial institutions. Examples of aggregated data may include:
• Data about the early equity space, such as number of deals in a month-to-month or quarter-to-quarter basis at various generic stages of the funding process (e.g. new deals, in-progress deals, inactive deals, and invested deals).
• Data about industries and geographies related to companies seeking investors and those successfully obtaining investments.
What is Website Data, and how is it used?
Website data is aggregated data about the overall traffic to, and usage of the Gust Platform. Examples include the number of visitors to the gust.com website and the number of registered users of the Gust Platform. Gust may extract and use website data for internal purposes, in order to analyze the performance of the Gust Platform and applications. For example, we may use these data for traffic analysis and business decision making, in order to determine how we can improve our site or its functionalities.
The statistics generated in this manner contain no personal data and cannot be used to gather any information about individual visitors to the site.
Cookies and other Tracking Technologies
Gust uses 'cookies.' A cookie is a small amount of data sent to a user's web browser from a web server, which is then stored on the user's hard drive. Cookies are used to make site navigation easier, and can help recognize a returning visitor. Gust's cookies do not generate any personal data, do not read personal data from your computer, and are not tied to any personal data. Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by editing its options, to stop accepting cookies, or to prompt you before accepting cookies from the sites that you visit. If you decide not to accept our cookies, some or all features of the site may not be available because navigation on the site is facilitated by cookies. You can delete cookies from your computer at any time. You can learn more about cookies by visiting: http://www.allaboutcookies.org or www.networkadvertising.org .
• Action Tags
Gust uses action tags. An action tag is a small piece of code that is placed on a webpage or in an email in order to track the pages viewed or the messages opened, the date and time when someone visited our website, the website from which the visitor came, the type of browser used, and the domain name and address of the user's Internet Service Provider. Action tags allow us to better understand how users and visitors use our site or browse through our pages, so that we can improve access to and navigation through the site, add or modify pages, according to our user's patterns. Action tags cannot be removed or deleted by our users, because they are part of the programming of a webpage.
• Log Files
Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you use the Gust Platform, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends out whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, browser type, referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.) and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other similar information.
• Web Beacons
When you use the Gust Platform, we may employ web beacons, which are used to track the online usage patterns of Users anonymously. No personal data from your account is collected using these beacons. In addition, we may also use web beacons in HTML-based emails sent to Users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
• Behavioral Targeting
• Do Not Track Signals
Gust does not track or use Do Not Track signals.
What security measures are in place to protect my personal data?
Gust uses physical, technical, and administrative procedures in order to safeguard and protect personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. However, while we do our best to implement reasonable security measures, we do not guarantee that our safeguards will always work.
Gust uses industry-standard technological means to protect your personal data while in transit through the Internet. We use encryption and a comprehensive authentication protocol to provide reasonable security. However, please remember that no security system on the Internet is perfect. If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What about Uploaded Documents?
Documents that are uploaded to the Gust Platform for sharing are stored at a third party data-storage service. All uploads and downloads are transmitted through the web between users and the data storage service using the same encryption techniques as those that are used with personal data. However, uploaded documents are neither stored redundantly, nor backed up. Therefore, we recommend that Gust users keep back-up copies of their documents if they upload them to the gust.com website.
When will Gust contact me?
Gust will communicate with you in response to your requests for service or customer support. We will contact you by phone or by email, according to your preference.
Links to other websites
Gust may provide links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of these sites. In order to safeguard your privacy, please review the privacy policies of any sites that you may visit before providing any personal data to these third party sites.
Limitation of Liability
Gust exercises reasonable efforts to safeguard the security and confidentiality of your personal data; however, transmissions protected by industry standard technology and administered by humans cannot be guaranteed to be secure. Gust will not be liable for unauthorized disclosure of personal data that occurs through no fault of Gust including, but not limited to, errors in transmission, access to your account by anyone uses your user ID and password, your failure to comply with your security obligations, and the unauthorized acts of Gust's employees.
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of the Gust Platform that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or write us at: Gust 44 West 28th Street, New York, NY 10001 USA.
You will have the right to terminate your account at any time.
Gust, Inc. owns and operates the gust.com web site and the Gust Platform. Our mailing address is 44 West 28th Street, New York, NY 10001 USA.
Effective Date: March 23, 2017