About this Program
The University System of Maryland (USM) is the state’s public higher education system, comprising 12 institutions and 2 regional centers.
Our Investment Focus
In an effort to increase commercialization of its leading-edge research and support the growth of promising companies, the University System of Maryland (USM) is launching a new $25 million early-stage investment fund, the Maryland Momentum fund. The fund is focused on filling gaps in the funding continuum to propel USM’s most promising and innovative ideas into the marketplace.
The USM has committed $10 million to this fund and is partnering with UM Ventures to secure an additional $15 million from area venture capitalists and angel investors to be co-invested along with USM funds. The Maryland Momentum Fund will leverage this financial support across the USM ecosystem to:
- Accelerate the success and profitability of USM start ups
- Attract promising entrepreneurs/innovators to USM institutions
- Commercialize valuable USM intellectual property
- Generate long-term financial returns to be reinvested in future USM affiliated start-ups
Timeline and process
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, however those submitted by April 14, 2017 will be considered for the first round of presentations to take place in early June.
- Complete the online application and prepare supporting documentation
- Work with the Maryland Momentum Fund staff to complete due diligence.
- Approved companies will present to successful early-stage investors and entrepreneurs serving on the USM External Investment Board.
- All companies that apply for funding will receive feedback regardless of the investment decision.
Eligible companies must be located in Maryland and affiliated with a USM institution in one of the following ways:
- Based on USM-owned intellectual property
- Founded by USM faculty, students, or alumni
- Located in USM incubators, research parks, or RISE Zones
Investments will be broken down into the following classifications:
- Up to $50,000 Seed funding for student-led or very early stage companies as an initial investment
- $50,000 - $500,000 Seed/Series A round funding with co-investor participation for companies that have raised less than $2million to date
- $200,000- $500,000 second round funding with co-investor participation in limited instances for significant impact/opportunity investments
** Co- investor participation required for all investments over $50,000
Questions? Contact [email protected]
- Maryland, US