About this Program
Detroit TiE Angels is an investment forum formed by Charter Members of TiE Detroit, a non-profit dedicated to promoting entrepreneurship.
Our Investment Focus
Startups that want an opportunity to present at a TiE Detroit Angels meeting must first complete three steps:
- Complete the application process on gust.com. You will receive one of the following responses within 30 days: Pass, an invite to participate at Pitch Club, or an invite to present at a TiE Detroit Screening Meeting.
- Attend a Pitch Club event to receive coaching on your business model and guidence on presentation (please see below for more information on Pitch Club).
- Companies that present at Pitch Club will be showcased to our Screening Committee, and will receive one of three answers: Pass, milestones to complete and come back, or an invite to present at the next Investment meeting.
About Detroit TiE Angels
Detroit TiE Angels invests in seed and early stage rounds of promising companies that have been pre-screened according to rules established by the TiE Detroit Investor Screening Committee. Focus areas of interest include cloud, data, software/infrastructure, applications, internet, connected mobility, autonomous technololgies, energy, AI, medical devices, bio-tech, clean-tech, Fintech, GovTech, security, media/entertainment and other sectors. Detroit TiE Angels seeks investment opportunities from strong teams with proven domain expertise, clear value proposition, and demonstrable competitive advantages. We do not have a managed fund and angels make their investment decisions individually. For each investment opportunity that the group decides to pursue, one of the Detroit TiE Angel members will be assigned as a lead to coordinate due diligence and structure investment terms. We encourage companies from anywhere in the world to apply. To learn more about invesment size, please see below (the best part).
There are no fees for entrepreneurs to apply or present. If your company gets funded by Detroit TiE Angels, please consider making a stock donation to TiE Detroit so we can continue fostering the next generation of entrepreneurs.
About Pitch Club
Pitch Club is an ongoing monthly series of events that provides entrepreneurs the opportunity to learn from seasoned entrepreneurs and investors. The events are meant to educate, network, inspire and provide valuable experiences for being investable. During the event, experts will discuss the key personality traits and business acumen any entrepreneur should understand to be successful in any fundraising efforts. As part of the events, 3 lucky entrepreneurs will receive the opportunity to practice their pitch and discuss business plan with funding experts, giving them a better understanding the mindset of an investor. Presenters will be given milestones to complete. In addition to guidance from our host and guest experts, attendees will be given a survey to provide additional feedback to the presenters. Pitch club will also feature a guest keynote who can speak on topics related to starting a company and opportunities for entrepreneurs.
The Best Part
- Entrepreneurs selected for Pitch Club will be given:
- A "Service Provider" package with resources to get started (valued at over $2,000).
- 1 on 1 coaching session with assigned mentor.
- Free pass to TiECon Detroit, $300 in value.
- A select pool of companies chosen to pitch, at monthly Pitch Club events, will be provided investment opportunities by presenting to the investment team of KyybaXcelerator and TiE Detroit Angels during their Quarterly Angels meeting. Companies can receive investment in the range of $25K-100K. TiE Detroit Angels funded companies (if qualifications are met) could also have an opportunity to present to the TiE Global Angel Alliance(TGAA). TGAA is a global platform for funding that launched in early 2017, and has recently invested $395K in Zeto, raised $2.1M for Medical Magnesium, and $450K for Hemex Health from the TiE Global network. TGAA exposes startups to a broader investment pool and opportunities to raise additional funds much larger than any single TiE Chapter or local Angel Group. Funded companies who have $100K investment committed, and at least $100K remaining to close their current round could qualify.
How do startups qualify?
- Business Products
- Clean Technology
- Computers and Peripherals
- Consumer Products
- Consumer Services
- Digital Marketing
- Electronics / Instrumentation
- Financial Services
- Food and Beverage
- Healthcare Services
- Internet / Web Services
- IT Services
- Marketing / Advertising
- Media and Entertainment
- Medical Devices and Equipment